Thursday, August 21, 2008

I wrote this for the membership application at GOA, but it wouldn't fit.

I got done typing it all, went to submit and I had to reduce word length. :| No worries, that's why I have this thing!

So GOA guys, here is my tale as to why I decided to join your group.

___________________________

I had been rather apathetic to politics in recent years. I always felt it was just a bunch of people who didn't care about the populace doing whatever they wanted. Last year I applied for and received my CCW in Texas and had only carried when I knew I was going to a shady part of town.

Two months ago my sister, her hubby, my 2 year old niece and my cousin were targeted for a carjacking. This was in an upscale part of town, 2 miles from my parent's home. Fortunately the suspect didn't succeed, but the damage was done. I then ordered my IWB holster and now carry everywhere.

My application for GOA comes while I've been researching the politics behind the 2nd amendment, trying to understand what is being said, who is influencing whom, and what I can do to help. During this time I've researched both sides of the debate and felt that a great injustice was being dealt to the citizens of our country. I have even begun a blog so I can vent all of my questions and concerns to the open (i.e. get them off my chest).

Sad part of my story is that I was once weary of the NRA and other pro-gun people. I attended the NRA show in Houston a few years ago with my friend and was.....well.....soured by people fighting for rights of guns. And most of the people who were there for the NRA were quite vocal in strumming up support. But at the time, I felt any kind of activism was over the top and not necessary.

Simple fact was, I was wrong because I didn't know all of the facts.

A philosopher once said, "I know not the truth, but I know many truths." And that sums up my attitude now. I know MORE of the facts to paint my own picture, and more importantly, know my role and what I must do.

Sorry for rambling, but.....you asked. :)

No comments: